05/31/2016 | By Summit Vacations
Everyone knows the state of Colorado is dedicated to its outdoor sports; summer or winter. In fact, we love them so much, sometimes we enthusiastically devote an entire chunk of time to one. Come June 22-26, 2016, an entire four days will be dedicated to one of our favorite summer sports, biking! Aptly titled Breckenridge Bike Week, we encourage everyone to hop on their preferred self-powered, pedal-driven mode of transportation, ride on over to Breckenridge and explore the great outdoors. Breckenridge has been privileged to bear the title of a Gold level Bicycle Friendly Community by the distinguished League of American Bicyclists, and would gladly share their great biking roads and trails with all!
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 22ND
- Things start off wonderfully Wednesday, June 22nd with Colorado’s state wide official Bike to Work Day. This fantastic event encourages everyone to ditch the drag of the morning commute and hit the road on your favorite bike. If you don’t have one, you can always rent a bike at any of the local sporting goods stores in town. Not only is cycling to work better for your health, but it is also fun and exhilarating. If you’re lucky enough to be in the Breckenridge area during Bike to Work Day, stop by Blue River Plaza in the morning to pick up a free breakfast and cup of Joe courtesy of PANTS (Physical Activities and Nutrition Team of Summit). While you’re there use some of that luck to pick up a winning raffle ticket in PANTS’ Bike to Work Raffle.
- The Breckenridge Arts District kicks back Wednesday, June 22nd with a bike themed Bike in Movie Night in the park. Ride on over to Ridge St. and Washington Ave. from 8 to 11 pm, where we will start with a few short films, followed by “American Flyers” at 9 pm. There will be games for the kiddos in the park and campus art studios open late.
THURSDAY, JUNE 23RD – SATURDAY, JUNE 25TH
- How about a bike bar crawl?! We’re sure that nothing wild and crazy could happen in this situation… If you’re up for some fun and excitement with a hint of antics, meet up with local Breck Cruisers at Breckenridge Distillery Tasting Room by the Blue River Plaza at 5:30 pm on Wednesday, June 22nd. Don’t forget your bike and your hidden flask!
Yeti Beti Women's MTB Skills Clinic:
- Yeti Beti is a women centric mountain biking clinic. This fabulous FREE clinic focuses on the skills, techniques and knowledge necessary in this particular biking style. Clinics range from beginner to intermediate to advanced levels. Even though this is a free clinic, don’t forget to sign up ahead of time. Spots are quick to fill, so make sure you shoot an RSVP email over to Cat Ambrose at firstname.lastname@example.org. Clinics meet 20 minutes prior to the start of rides at the Wellington Lot where the Breck Demo Days Expo is located.
SATURDAY, JUNE 25TH – SUNDAY, JUNE 26TH
- BEGINNER: Thursday, June 23rd: 10:00am-12:00pm
- INTERMEDIATE: Thursday, June 23rd: 2:00pm- 4:30pm
- ADVANCED: Friday, June 24th: 5:30pm
- BEGINNER: Saturday, June 25th: 10:00am-12:00pm
- INTERMEDIATE: Saturday, June 25th: 2:00pm- 4:30pm
- What sounds more fun than a night ride up Boreas Pass to Bakers Tank, followed by a free dinner and s’mores roasted over a fire? On Saturday, June 25th bring your bike light, because this 6.5 mile ride leaves at 6:00 pm from the Wellington Expo area and doesn’t end until dark.
- Breck Demo Days Expo is an excellent way to get your hands on the newest cutting edge bikes that will be out on the market tomorrow. For a small demo fee, you will get the chance to experience everything from the coolest road bikes to the sweetest mountain bikes to the sickest electric bikes available. Better yet, you get an amazing coupon for any bike purchase at the Bike Village. The expo is free for all who attend and will be held at the Wellington Parking Lot Saturday, June 25th and Sunday, June 26th. You can find plenty of parking in the North Gondola parking lot. Don’t forget your helmet, a valid driver’s license and your credit card!
- While visiting the super awesome Breck Demo Days Expo, make sure to come on over to the Strider Adventure Zone, a free family friendly Strider no pedal balance bike track located at the corner of Wellington Road and Main Street. If you’ve never heard of or seen a strider bike before, get ready to witness some seriously cool and straightforward innovation. These balancing bikes eliminate messy chains and pedals that commonly make biking difficult for the very young and physically different population. If you haven’t seen an 18 month old on a two wheeler before, make certain to stop by and see one at the Strider Adventure Zone on Saturday, June 25th or Sunday, June 26th!